The Los Angeles Post
U.S. World Business Lifestyle
Today: April 06, 2025
Today: April 06, 2025

Newsom simplifies rebuilding process for L.A. fire victims

Newsom simplifies rebuilding process for L.A. fire victims
Photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images
February 26, 2025
Jasmin Jose - LA Post

California Gov. Gavin Newsom issued a new executive order towards the end of last month to further streamline rebuilding efforts for survivors of recent wildfires in Los Angeles County by suspending additional regulations and clarifying previous orders.

The order specifically targets confusion surrounding California Coastal Commission guidance that suggested rebuilds were subject to Coastal Act exemption provisions and procedures. Newsom's order reiterates that all permitting requirements under the California Coastal Act are suspended for affected areas.

Newsom defended the order, saying it slashes red tape so fire victims can get back on their feet faster.

The order tells the Coastal Commission to back off and stop contradicting what Newsom laid out on Jan. 12. That earlier order waived California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and Coastal Act requirements for rebuilding efforts.

Newsom's latest order also reinforces a Jan. 16 directive aimed at streamlining the construction of accessory dwelling units to provide more temporary housing options for displaced residents.

In addition to addressing rebuilding concerns, the new order temporarily suspends rules that could deter hotels, motels, and other short-term rentals from offering extended shelter to fire survivors. Under normal circumstances, individuals staying in such accommodations for more than 30 days may be classified as tenants, potentially limiting operators' flexibility.

The order allows survivors to remain classified as short-term occupants even when staying beyond 30 days. This rule change lasts until March 8, 2025.

With thousands of homes gone after the L.A. fires, there's a desperate scramble for places to live and a push to rebuild as soon as possible.

State housing officials are teaming up with towns and cities to find more housing options and help people rebuild. They've set up a phone line for fire victims who need information on housing help and building rules. The number you can call is (800)733-2767.

Environmental groups worry about what might happen if we ditch coastal protections for too long. But the state says these quick fixes are needed to tackle the housing emergency fire survivors are facing.

โ€œAs the state helps the Los Angeles area rebuild and recover, we will continue to remove barriers and red tape that stand in the way. We will not let over-regulation stop us from helping the LA community rebuild and recover.โ€ Newsom said.

Local leaders are on board with Newsom's moves, saying they need to rebuild fast to keep their communities together and the economy going.

Newsom's team says they're keeping an eye on things and might roll out more orders if needed to help with recovery.

Share This