The Los Angeles Post
U.S. World Business Lifestyle
Today: April 05, 2025
Today: April 05, 2025

Arbitration rules in favour of BP as sole buyer of Kosmos Energy's Senegal LNG project

The BP logo is seen at a BP gas station in Manhattan, New York City
October 08, 2024
Marwa Rashad - Reuters

By Marwa Rashad

LONDON (Reuters) - Kosmos Energy said on Tuesday a Paris-based arbitrator has ruled in favour of BP, prohibiting Kosmos from selling to third parties liquefied natural gas from the Greater Tortue (GTA) project offshore Senegal and Mauritania.

LNG is key to BP's strategy and broader energy transition plan. The energy major has managed to establish a significant LNG portfolio across the world including Sub-Saharan Africa, which is set to become a significant source of LNG exports with Nigeria, Angola, Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea already shipping large volumes.

Last year, Kosmos Energy, a U.S.-listed oil and gas exploration company, and BP Gas Marketing, a BP subsidiary, sought arbitration from the International Chamber of Commerce over planned LNG sales from Phase 1 of the GTA project.

The chamber informed Kosmos Energy Ltd that a final, binding award prohibits it from selling LNG cargos to third parties during the contract term of the LNG sales agreement, which has an option to end in 2033, Kosmos said in a statement.

The final award does not change the terms of the LNG sales agreement and is not expected to have an impact on Kosmos' long-term expectations and financial situation, the statement said.

BP, which holds a 56% stake in GTA, is the operator of the project and its subsidiary is the sole buyer of its 2.5-million metric ton per year volume under a 20-year contract.

In November 2023, BP said the project was 90% complete and would start in the first quarter of 2024, slightly later than originally planned.

On Tuesday, Kosmos CEO, Andrew Inglis told a BloombergNEF conference in London that the GTA project should start up by the end of the year. Kosmos has a 26.8% share in the project.

BP, Shell and other energy companies have also been in a legal battle with Venture Global LNG, accusing the LNG producer of denying it and other customers access to supplies while exporting more than $18 billion worth of the superchilled gas, according to a filing with U.S. regulators.

(Reporting by Marwa Rashad; Additional reporting by Nina Chestney; Editing by Emelia Sithole-Matarise)

Related Articles

Former BP boss Looney to chair US data company Prometheus Hyperscale Austin Hays, Kyle Finnegan, Brendan Rodgers and Jordan Romano among 62 new free agents Nippon Steel not to import from overseas mills in bid to save U.S. Steel deal European oil giants step back from renewables path
Share This

Popular

Business|Economy|Finance|Political|US

JPMorgan executive says inflation and recession likely from tariffs

JPMorgan executive says inflation and recession likely from tariffs
Business|Economy|Political|US|World

'This is a really big deal': Marc Stewart explains retaliatory tariffs from China

'This is a really big deal': Marc Stewart explains retaliatory tariffs from China
Business|Economy|Finance|Political|US

Powell: Tariffs 'highly likely' to increase inflation

Powell: Tariffs 'highly likely' to increase inflation
Business|Economy|MidEast|Political|US|World

Netanyahu expected to talk tariffs with Trump in Washington on Monday, officials say

Netanyahu expected to talk tariffs with Trump in Washington on Monday, officials say

Economy

Business|Economy|MidEast|Political|US|World

Netanyahu expected to talk tariffs with Trump in Washington on Monday, officials say

Netanyahu expected to talk tariffs with Trump in Washington on Monday, officials say
Business|Economy|Europe|Political|US

Italy warns against counter-tariffs on U.S., calls for budget leeway

Italy warns against counter-tariffs on U.S., calls for budget leeway
Asia|Business|Economy|Stock Markets|Technology

Foxconn reports record Q1 revenue, says it must closely watch global politics

Foxconn reports record Q1 revenue, says it must closely watch global politics
Asia|Business|Economy|Political|US

Nissan considers transferring some domestic production to US, Nikkei says

Nissan considers transferring some domestic production to US, Nikkei says

Access this article for free.

Already have an account? Sign In