The Los Angeles Post
U.S. World Business Lifestyle
Today: April 04, 2025
Today: April 04, 2025

Catholic shrine in Lourdes covers artwork by priest accused of abuse

FILE PHOTO: Faithful attend a special mass for the sick celebrated by Pope Benedict XVI at the Basilica of the Rosary at the Lourdes shrine in southwestern France
March 31, 2025
Joshua McElwee - Reuters

By Joshua McElwee

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The sanctuary of Lourdes, one of the world's most popular Catholic pilgrimage sites, began on Monday to cover up a series of mosaics made by a prominent priest with ties to the Vatican who has been accused of sexual abuse.

The artwork is by Rev. Marko Rupnik, an internationally known artist, who has been accused by about 25 people, mostly former Catholic nuns, of various types of abuse.

Rupnik, who was expelled from the Catholic Jesuit order in 2023 but remains a priest, is not known to have commented publicly on the accusations. The Vatican in 2023 reopened an investigation into his conduct, which is ongoing.

Mosaics by Rupnik adorn the facade of the Rosary Basilica in Lourdes, near the France-Spain border, where some five million Catholics and other faithful visit each year to experience spring water that is said to have healing properties.

Workers placed large coverings over many of the images on Monday, Lourdes Bishop Jean-Marc Micas said in a statement.

"A new symbolic step needed to be taken to facilitate entry into the basilica for all the people who today cannot cross its threshold," said the bishop, in an apparent reference to clergy abuse victims.

Micas had previously declined to cover the images but ordered in July 2024 that they no longer be illuminated at night.

Laura Sgro, a lawyer representing five of Rupnik's alleged victims, welcomed the covering of the images.

"Every believer, and not just every victim of abuse, must have an open heart when praying, and this cannot happen if they have to kneel before a work of art that was likely the place where abuse was experienced," Sgro said in a statement.

Rupnik's artwork is thought to adorn some 200 churches and chapels around the world, and is also known to adorn at least one chapel at the Vatican.

Vatican officials have largely declined to comment on the allegations, citing the ongoing investigation into Rupnik. 

Cardinal Victor Fernandez, the Catholic Church's chief doctrine official, told reporters earlier this month that he was starting to contact lawyers who could serve as judges in a likely Church trial against Rupnik.

Last week, the Jesuit order began reaching out to some of Rupnik's alleged victims to start a process of offering reparations on a case-by-case basis.

Sgro called the letters a "clear, strong and concrete gesture" and "an important step forward".

(Reporting by Joshua McElwee; editing by Crispian Balmer and Mark Heinrich)

Related Articles

A Holy Year is about to start in Rome. Here's what you need to know Leap of faith: A few young women in US buck the trends by joining the ranks of Catholic nuns Pope Francis, in Corsica, warns against religion that stokes divisions Pope creates 21 cardinals, many of them reformers in their own right, to carry out his reform plans
Share This

Popular

Arts|Political|US

US judge declines for now to block Trump 'gender ideology' arts grants ban

US judge declines for now to block Trump 'gender ideology' arts grants ban
Arts|Entertainment|Sports|US

NFL taps Milwaukee artist for 32-piece draft week art installation

NFL taps Milwaukee artist for 32-piece draft week art installation
Arts|Celebrity|Entertainment

Tom Cruise remembers 'Top Gun' co-star Val Kilmer

Tom Cruise remembers 'Top Gun' co-star Val Kilmer
Arts|Political|US

Federal judge rules action against NEA unnecessary after it backed off bans on gender ideology

Federal judge rules action against NEA unnecessary after it backed off bans on gender ideology

Crime

Australia|Business|Crime|Finance|Technology

Multiple Australian pension funds hit by cyber-hacking

Multiple Australian pension funds hit by cyber-hacking
Americas|Crime|Travel|US

Michigan couple arrested in Mexico over payment dispute freed, US special envoy says

Michigan couple arrested in Mexico over payment dispute freed, US special envoy says
Americas|Crime|Travel|US

Michigan couple released after nearly a month in Mexican prison over payment dispute with timeshare company

Michigan couple released after nearly a month in Mexican prison over payment dispute with timeshare company
Crime|Education|MidEast|Political|US

Tufts student detained by Trump administration defends right to advocate

Tufts student detained by Trump administration defends right to advocate

Access this article for free.

Already have an account? Sign In