The Los Angeles Post
U.S. World Business Lifestyle
Today: April 06, 2025
Today: April 06, 2025

The plot to attack Taylor Swift's Vienna shows was intended to kill thousands, a CIA official says

Britain Taylor Swift
August 29, 2024

BERLIN (AP) — The suspects in the foiled plot to attack Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna earlier this month sought to kill “tens of thousands” of fans before the CIA discovered intelligence that disrupted the planning and led to arrests, the agency's deputy director said.

The CIA notified Austrian authorities of the scheme, which allegedly included links to the Islamic State group. The intelligence and subsequent arrests ultimately led to the cancellation of three sold-out Eras Tour shows, devastating fans who had traveled across the globe to see Swift in concert.

CIA Deputy Director David Cohen addressed the failed plot during the annual Intelligence and National Security Summit, held this week in Maryland.

The plot to attack Taylor Swift's Vienna shows was intended to kill thousands, a CIA official says
Britain Taylor Swift

“They were plotting to kill a huge number — tens of thousands of people at this concert, including I am sure many Americans — and were quite advanced in this," Cohen said Wednesday. “The Austrians were able to make those arrests because the agency and our partners in the intelligence community provided them information about what this ISIS-connected group was planning to do.”

Austrian officials said the main suspect, a 19-year-old Austrian man, was inspired by the Islamic State group. He allegedly planned to attack outside the stadium, where upwards of 30,000 fans were expected to gather, with knives or homemade explosives. Another 65,000 fans were likely to be inside the venue. Investigators discovered chemical substances and technical devices during a raid of the suspect's home.

Austria’s interior minister, Gerhard Karner, previously said help from other intelligence agencies was needed because Austrian investigators, unlike some foreign services, can’t legally monitor text messages.

The 19-year-old’s lawyer has said the allegations were “overacting at its best,” and contended Austrian authorities were “presenting this exaggeratedly” in order to get new surveillance powers.

The plot to attack Taylor Swift's Vienna shows was intended to kill thousands, a CIA official says
APTOPIX Austria Taylor Swift

Swift broke her silence about the cancellations last week after her London shows had concluded.

“Having our Vienna shows cancelled was devastating,” she wrote in a statement posted to Instagram. “The reason for the cancellations filled me with a new sense of fear, and a tremendous amount of guilt because so many people had planned on coming to those shows.”

She thanked authorities — “thanks to them, we were grieving concerts and not lives,” she wrote — and said she waited to speak until the European leg of her Eras Tour concluded to prioritize safety.

“Let me be very clear: I am not going to speak about something publicly if I think doing so might provoke those who would want to harm the fans who come to my shows,” she wrote.

The plot to attack Taylor Swift's Vienna shows was intended to kill thousands, a CIA official says
Austria Taylor Swift

Swift’s publicist did not immediately return a request for comment Thursday.

Concert organizer Barracuda Music said it canceled the three-night Vienna run that would have begun Aug. 8 because the arrests made in connection to the conspiracy were too close to showtime.

The main suspect and a 17-year-old were taken into custody on Aug. 6, the day before the cancellations were announced. A third suspect, 18, was arrested Aug. 8. Their names have not been released in line with Austrian privacy rules.

The shows in London, the next stop after Vienna, came on the heels of a stabbing at a Swift-themed dance class that left three little girls dead in the U.K. In a statement issued after the Southport attack, Swift said she was “just completely in shock” and “at a complete loss for how to ever convey my sympathies to these families.” News outlets reported that Swift met with some of the survivors backstage in London.

The plot to attack Taylor Swift's Vienna shows was intended to kill thousands, a CIA official says
Britain Taylor Swift

The Vienna plot also drew comparisons to a 2017 attack by a suicide bomber at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England, that killed 22 people. The bomb detonated at the end of Grande’s concert as thousands of young fans were leaving, becoming the deadliest extremist attack in the United Kingdom in recent years.

Cohen on Wednesday praised the CIA's work in preventing the planned violence, saying that other counterterrorism “successes” in foiling plots typically go unheralded.

“I can tell you within my agency, and I'm sure in others, there were people who thought that was a really good day for Langley,” he said, referring to the CIA headquarters. “And not just the Swifties in my workforce.”

The record-smashing tour is on hiatus until the fall.

Related Articles

Taliban says US has lifted $10 million reward for information on Sirajuddin Haqqani FBI scales back staffing, tracking of domestic terrorism probes, sources say 30 years after deadly Tokyo subway gassing, survivors and victims' families still seeking closure Police arrest man suspected of setting fire to Tesla vehicles at Las Vegas service facility
Share This

Popular

Arts|Celebrity|Entertainment|Europe

John Lithgow wins best actor at the UK stage Olivier Awards for exploring Roald Dahl's dark side

John Lithgow wins best actor at the UK stage Olivier Awards for exploring Roald Dahl's dark side
Arts|Celebrity|Election|Entertainment|Political

Elton John thinks his shuttered musical ‘Tammy Faye’ failed because it was ‘too political’

Elton John thinks his shuttered musical ‘Tammy Faye’ failed because it was ‘too political’
Arts|Celebrity|Entertainment

FKA Twigs cancels Coachella appearance and remaining tour dates due to ‘ongoing visa issues’

FKA Twigs cancels Coachella appearance and remaining tour dates due to ‘ongoing visa issues’
Arts|Celebrity|Entertainment

Hollywood lands a much-needed box office hit with ‘A Minecraft Movie’

Hollywood lands a much-needed box office hit with ‘A Minecraft Movie’

Crime

Crime|Political|US

US sidelines DOJ lawyer involved in deportation case, which judge calls 'wholly lawless'

US sidelines DOJ lawyer involved in deportation case, which judge calls 'wholly lawless'
Crime|Election|Europe|Political

Le Pen supporters rally in Paris, turning a protest into a populist show of force

Le Pen supporters rally in Paris, turning a protest into a populist show of force
Crime|MidEast|Political|World

Video showing final moments of Gaza emergency workers casts doubt on Israeli account of killings

Video showing final moments of Gaza emergency workers casts doubt on Israeli account of killings
Crime|Environment|Political|US

22 million people at risk for severe weather from line of violent storms that has already left at least 17 dead

22 million people at risk for severe weather from line of violent storms that has already left at least 17 dead

Access this article for free.

Already have an account? Sign In