The Los Angeles Post
U.S. World Business Lifestyle
Today: April 05, 2025
Today: April 05, 2025

Ex-New Orleans priest pleads guilty to rape and kidnapping in sexual abuse case ahead of trial

December 03, 2024
AP - AP

NEW ORLEANS (AP) โ€” A disgraced 93-year-old New Orleans priest pleaded guilty Tuesday to charges involving the sexual assault of a teenage boy in 1975.

Lawrence Hecker, who left the ministry in 2002, had been scheduled to stand trial Tuesday. Heckerโ€™s eyes were focused on the ground as a sheriffโ€™s deputy pushed him toward Orleans Parish Criminal District Court Judge Nandi Campbellโ€™s courtroom, The Times-Picayune/The New Orleans Advocate reported.

Hecker entered his plea to aggravated kidnapping, aggravated crime against nature, first-degree rape and theft before Campbell, moments before jury selection was scheduled to begin, multiple news outlets reported. Sentencing was set for Dec. 18. He faces life in prison.

The trial had been delayed for months over concerns about Heckerโ€™s mental competency and because District Judge Ben Willard recused himself from the case, citing a conflict with prosecutors. The case was reassigned to Campbell, who ordered Hecker to undergo routine physical and psychological evaluations before the trial.

A doctor confirmed that Hecker has Alzheimerโ€™s disease and dementia, but Hecker was found competent to stand trial, according to his attorney Bobby Hjortsberg, WDSU-TV reported.

A grand jury indicted Hecker last year following an investigation that revealed he had confessed to molesting multiple juveniles over his decades of service with the Archdiocese of New Orleans. But, the charges brought against him stem from a single alleged incident that happened between 1975 and 1976, prosecutors have said.

The indictment comes amid a years-old legal battle over a trove of secret church records that were shielded by a sweeping confidentiality order after the archdiocese sought Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in 2020 following a flood of abuse claims. The records are said to chronicle years of such claims, interviews with accused clergy and a pattern of church leaders transferring problem priests without reporting their crimes to law enforcement.

The alleged survivor in the criminal case against Hecker is among those who have filed abuse claims against the archdiocese in its long-running bankruptcy case. To date, more than 600 alleged abuse survivors have filed claims against the archdiocese.

โ€œIt is our hope and prayer that todayโ€™s court proceedings bring healing and peace to the survivor and all survivors of sexual abuse," the Archdiocese of New Orleans said in a statement. "We continue to hold all survivors in prayer.โ€

Share This

Popular

Celebrity|Crime|Entertainment|US

โ€˜The most powerful type of liarโ€™: Tapper asks Anna Delvey how she views her criminal past

โ€˜The most powerful type of liarโ€™: Tapper asks Anna Delvey how she views her criminal past
Crime|Political|US

Prosecutors seek 7 years in prison for disgraced ex-US Rep. George Santos in federal fraud case

Prosecutors seek 7 years in prison for disgraced ex-US Rep. George Santos in federal fraud case
Arts|Celebrity|Crime|Entertainment|US

Ex-assistant says filmmaker Paul Schrader sexually assaulted her and backed out of settlement deal

Ex-assistant says filmmaker Paul Schrader sexually assaulted her and backed out of settlement deal
Crime|Election|Political|US

George Santos should serve more than 7 years in prison for fraud scheme, US prosecutors say

George Santos should serve more than 7 years in prison for fraud scheme, US prosecutors say

Crime

Celebrity|Crime|Health|US

Jeffrey Epstein accuser ends 'sex slave' lawsuit against prominent psychiatrist

Jeffrey Epstein accuser ends 'sex slave' lawsuit against prominent psychiatrist
Crime|Economy|US

Los Angeles County to settle over 6,800 sex abuse claims for $4 billion

Los Angeles County to settle over 6,800 sex abuse claims for $4 billion
Crime|Economy|US

A list of the largest settlements reached by organizations and victims of sexual abuse

A list of the largest settlements reached by organizations and victims of sexual abuse
Celebrity|Crime|Europe|Political

UK courts release new documents on Prince Andrewโ€™s relationship to alleged Chinese spy

UK courts release new documents on Prince Andrewโ€™s relationship to alleged Chinese spy

Access this article for free.

Already have an account? Sign In