The Los Angeles Post
U.S. World Business Lifestyle
Today: April 06, 2025
Today: April 06, 2025

G7 seeks unity on ICC arrest warrant for Netanyahu

G7 foreign ministers' meeting in Italy
November 25, 2024
Alvise Armellini - Reuters

By Alvise Armellini

FIUGGI, Italy (Reuters) - The Group of Seven democracies are seeking a common position on the arrest warrant for Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu issued last week by the International Criminal Court (ICC), Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said on Monday.

"We need to be united on this," Tajani said after hosting the first working session of a two-day meeting of foreign ministers from G7 nations.

The United States, part of the G7, has rejected the ICC decision, with President Joe Biden describing it as outrageous.

Tajani, part of a coalition government that has itself appeared divided on the ICC issue, said he wanted the G7 to speak with one voice.

"We have talked about it, let's see if we can have a part in the final communiquรฉ dedicated to this, we are working to find an agreement," Tajani added.

The ICC issued arrest warrants last Thursday for Netanyahu, his former defence chief Yoav Gallant, as well as a Hamas leader, Ibrahim Al-Masri, for alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity in the Gaza conflict.

Israel condemned the decision as shameful and absurd.

Tajani said he invited colleagues from Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, United Arab Emirates and Qatar to join the G7 meeting in Fiuggi, a spa town about 80 kilometres (50 miles) southeast of Rome.

German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock said discussions were taking place while prospects were picking up for a breakthrough Lebanon ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hezbollah.

"We are currently discussing with our partners from the Gulf States and the Arab world how we can, in this situation, at least perhaps resolve one of the major challenges, the situation in Lebanon, and finally achieve a ceasefire," she said.

"The momentum now seems to be closer than it was a few days or even a few weeks ago," Baerbock added.

(Additional reporting by Alexander Ratz, Rachel More, Keith Weir, editing by Gavin Jones and Keith Weir)

Related Articles

Hamas official welcomes Trumpโ€™s apparent retreat on call to displace Gazans US discussions with Hamas were recent, Trump envoy says Hamas brushes off Trump's threat and says it will only free hostages in return for a lasting truce Israeli forces kill West Bank Hamas commander
Share This

Popular

Crime|MidEast|Political|World

Video showing final moments of Gaza emergency workers casts doubt on Israeli account of killings

Video showing final moments of Gaza emergency workers casts doubt on Israeli account of killings
Health|MidEast|Political|World

Israeli strikes on Gaza kill 32, mostly women and children

Israeli strikes on Gaza kill 32, mostly women and children
Europe|MidEast|Political

Turkey's opposition vows to sustain protests over jailing of Erdogan's main rival

Turkey's opposition vows to sustain protests over jailing of Erdogan's main rival
Africa|MidEast|Political|US|World

Moroccans protest Israel's offensive in Gaza and take aim at Trump

Moroccans protest Israel's offensive in Gaza and take aim at Trump

Political

Africa|Europe|Political|World

France and Algeria agree to resume cooperation, Paris says

France and Algeria agree to resume cooperation, Paris says
Health|Political|US

Second child dies of measles in Texas

Second child dies of measles in Texas
Crime|Election|Europe|Political

Le Pen supporters rally in Paris, turning a protest into a populist show of force

Le Pen supporters rally in Paris, turning a protest into a populist show of force
Crime|MidEast|Political|World

Video showing final moments of Gaza emergency workers casts doubt on Israeli account of killings

Video showing final moments of Gaza emergency workers casts doubt on Israeli account of killings

Access this article for free.

Already have an account? Sign In