The Los Angeles Post
U.S. World Business Lifestyle
Today: April 03, 2025
Today: April 03, 2025

Hapag-Lloyd CEO expects shipping volume strength to continue

sFILE PHOTO: Containers are seen on the Hapag-Lloyd container ship Chacabuco at the HHLA Container Terminal Altenwerder on the River Elbe in Hamburg, Germany
November 14, 2024

By Vera Eckert and Elke Ahlswede

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Hapag-Lloyd's CEO said on Thursday he expects continued strength in container shipping volumes, which are driven by global demand for transporting goods and seen as a proxy for trade and a health barometer for the world economy.

The volume of twenty-foot equivalent (TEU) containers moved by its 292 ships rose to 9.3 million metric tons in the nine months from January to September, up 5% from 8.9 million in the same period a year ago, the German company said.

"I don't see much of a change there in the fourth quarter," Hapag-Lloyd CEO Habben Jansen told Reuters after presenting nine-month earnings for the world's fifth largest container shipping group.

Global container volumes have risen by 6.3% year-to-date, marking the highest growth rate since 2021, Hapag-Lloyd said in presentation slides for an analyst call on its results.

However, increasing costs, as commercial shipping diverts around Africa to avoid disruption in the Suez Canal amid attacks by Houthi militants, contributed to a 47% fall in Hapag-Lloyd's net profit for the period, outstripping freight rate rises.

Hapag-Lloyd achieved average freight rates over the nine months of $1,467/TEU, which was 9% down year-on-year.

"For the time being, there is no end in sight," Habben Jansen said of the Suez crisis.

That has left prospects for Hapag-Lloyd's full-year earnings near 2023 levels, although forecasts were hiked last month.

Commenting on Donald Trump's U.S. presidential election win, Habben Jansen said that positive macroeconomic impulses could be countered by the damaging effects of tariffs.

President-elect Trump made import tariffs a key pillar of his campaign to get back into the White House.

(Reporting by Vera Eckert and Elke Ahlswede; Editing by Miranda Murray and Alexander Smith)

Related Articles

Hapag Lloyd CEO says he expects Red Sea crisis to end this year Hapag-Lloyd to offer land transit through Saudi Arabia amid Red Sea disruption
Share This

Popular

Business|Economy|Political|US

Hear Trump break down tariffs on various countries

Hear Trump break down tariffs on various countries
Asia|Business|Economy|Political

China's services activity rises to three-month high, Caixin PMI shows

China's services activity rises to three-month high, Caixin PMI shows
Australia|Business|Economy|Finance|Stock Markets

Australia's Galan Lithium declines $150 million buyout bid for Argentine assets

Australia's Galan Lithium declines $150 million buyout bid for Argentine assets
Business|Economy|Political|US|World

Trump tariffs draw global promises of counter measures

Trump tariffs draw global promises of counter measures

Economy

Business|Economy|Political|US|World

China urges US to immediately lift tariffs, vows retaliation

China urges US to immediately lift tariffs, vows retaliation
Asia|Business|Economy|Political|US

Taiwan-US a driver of shared prosperity, US business group says after tariffs

Taiwan-US a driver of shared prosperity, US business group says after tariffs
Asia|Business|Economy|Political|World

Japan says it is leaving all options open against Trump's tariffs

Japan says it is leaving all options open against Trump's tariffs
Business|Economy|Political|US

Volkswagen to introduce 'import fee' on tariff-hit cars, WSJ reports

Volkswagen to introduce 'import fee' on tariff-hit cars, WSJ reports

Access this article for free.

Already have an account? Sign In