The Los Angeles Post
U.S. World Business Lifestyle
Today: April 04, 2025
Today: April 04, 2025

Harvey Weinstein's retrial moved to next year, lawyer plans to hire a private investigator

Sexual Misconduct Harvey Weinstein
October 23, 2024

NEW YORK (AP) โ€” Harvey Weinstein โ€™s retrial on sex crimes charges in Manhattan wonโ€™t start until at least next year โ€” and his lawyers plan to hire a private investigator to look into a new allegation against the movie mogul that will now be part of the case.

The new details came as Weinstein appeared in court Wednesday for a pretrial hearing.

Weinstein was already facing retrial on two sex crimes charges after the stateโ€™s highest court overturned his 2020 conviction earlier this year. In September, he was hit with a new charge accusing him of another assault. He has pleaded not guilty.

Harvey Weinstein's retrial moved to next year, lawyer plans to hire a private investigator
Sexual Misconduct-Harvey Weinstein

On Wednesday, Judge Curtis Farber granted a prosecution request to consolidate both cases and agreed to push back the trial's start date, which had been tentatively scheduled for Nov. 12.

Weinsteinโ€™s lawyers sought a date in March or April. Prosecutors said they were not opposed, but were prepared to go to trial as soon as January. Farber set the next pre-trial hearing for Jan. 29.

โ€œWeโ€™re going to need some time to investigate the case, hire a private investigator and dig more into discovery,โ€ said Weinsteinโ€™s lawyer Arthur Aidala.

Weinstein, seated in a wheelchair, held a copy of former President Barack Obamaโ€™s memoir โ€œA Promised Landโ€ as he listened intently to the proceedings.

Harvey Weinstein's retrial moved to next year, lawyer plans to hire a private investigator
Sexual Misconduct Harvey Weinstein

Weinstein was convicted on charges that he forcibly performed oral sex on a TV and film production assistant in 2006, and rape in the third degree for an attack on an aspiring actor in 2013. In the new charge, prosecutors say he forced oral sex on a different woman in a Manhattan hotel in the spring of 2006.

After the hearing, Aidala said he was โ€œsomewhat disappointedโ€ but not surprised by the judgeโ€™s decision to consolidate the cases.

โ€œItโ€™s right out of their playbook from the last time,โ€ he said, referring to prosecutors. โ€œTheyโ€™re going to put his personality and his demeanor on trial as opposed to the facts of the case on trial.โ€

Weinsteinโ€™s lawyers had argued in court papers that the cases should remain separate, accusing prosecutors of attempting to transform the retrial into โ€œan entirely new proceeding.โ€

Harvey Weinstein's retrial moved to next year, lawyer plans to hire a private investigator
Sexual Misconduct-Harvey Weinstein

But Farber sided with Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Braggโ€™s office, which had contended that holding a separate trial on the new charge would be โ€œextraordinarily inefficientโ€ and waste judicial resources.

In a written decision, Farber said lawyers for Weinstein had โ€œfailed to establish that his right to a fair trial free of undue prejudice would be violatedโ€ if the two cases were merged.

Aidala said the new accuser hasnโ€™t yet been officially identified to defense lawyers.

โ€œItโ€™s much of the same where for years, decades, itโ€™s been consensual, and then as of late, itโ€™s not consensual,โ€ he said.

Harvey Weinstein's retrial moved to next year, lawyer plans to hire a private investigator
Sexual Misconduct Harvey Weinstein

A lawyer for the accuser, who she said wants to be identified as โ€œJane Doeโ€ for now, said her client maintains her encounter with Weinstein was not consensual.

โ€œWhile Ms. Doe has previously chosen not to publicly share this painful portion of her experience, she has always remained consistent in her conversations with the Manhattan DAโ€™s office,โ€ attorney Lindsay Goldbrum said in a statement. โ€œMs. Doe wants her privacy to be respected while she prepares for her testimony.โ€

Aidala also pushed back on suggestions that Weinsteinโ€™s case echoes the federal sex trafficking case against rap mogul Sean โ€œDiddyโ€ Combs, which includes allegations he coerced and abused women for years and silenced them through blackmail, threats and violence.

โ€œThereโ€™s no allegations of force, like physical force. Thereโ€™s no allegations of drugs and filming and baby oil and all that stuff,โ€ he said. โ€œThis is all about people who knew each other, who went on dates, who fooled around. Everything was fine for years and years and years and now itโ€™s not fine anymore.โ€

Harvey Weinstein's retrial moved to next year, lawyer plans to hire a private investigator
Sexual Misconduct-Harvey Weinstein

Weinsteinโ€™s first trial included testimony from women who described being forcibly groped, physically cornered and shoved into objects by Weinstein, and kicking and punching him as they tried to wrestle out of his grip.

He was acquitted at that trial of predatory sexual assault charges related to accusations by actress Annabella Sciorra, who had described a violent attack in her apartment in the 1990s. Prosecutors are barred from retrying him on those allegations.

Aidala wouldn't elaborate on reports that Weinstein is dealing with a new health issue while behind bars.

โ€œIโ€™m not going to get into any specifics except to say that Mr. Weinstein is a fighter and heโ€™s here to fight this case and heโ€™s going to fight with every ounce of strength in his body any health issues that he has,โ€ he said.

Harvey Weinstein's retrial moved to next year, lawyer plans to hire a private investigator
Sexual Misconduct Harvey Weinstein

The 72-year-old former film producer has faced numerous health complications, including emergency heart surgery to remove fluid on his heart and lungs last month.

Weinsteinโ€™s lawyers have argued โ€” so far unsuccessfully โ€” that he should be housed at Manhattanโ€™s Bellevue Hospital rather than the cityโ€™s notorious Rikers Island jail complex.

Sexual assault and harassment allegations against Weinstein turbocharged the #MeToo movement in 2017.

The co-founder of the film and television production companies Miramax and The Weinstein Company was also convicted of rape in Los Angeles in 2022, though his lawyers have appealed.

___

Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo.

Related Articles

Police report reveals assault allegations against Hegseth, Trump's pick for defense secretary Someone accessed files said to contain damaging info about Trump AG-nominee Gaetz, lawyer says Romanian court moves to remove evidence from Andrew Tate human trafficking case Giuliani's lawyers seek to withdraw from legal fight over $148M defamation judgment against him
Share This

Popular

Celebrity|Crime|Entertainment|US

โ€˜The most powerful type of liarโ€™: Tapper asks Anna Delvey how she views her criminal past

โ€˜The most powerful type of liarโ€™: Tapper asks Anna Delvey how she views her criminal past
Celebrity|Crime|Entertainment|US

Sean 'Diddy' Combs hit with new sex trafficking charges a month before trial

Sean 'Diddy' Combs hit with new sex trafficking charges a month before trial
Celebrity|Crime|Entertainment|US

Federal prosecutors announce more charges against Sean โ€˜Diddyโ€™ Combs

Federal prosecutors announce more charges against Sean โ€˜Diddyโ€™ Combs
Celebrity|Europe|Political|World

Prince Andrew's damaged reputation led to links with Chinese man accused of spying, documents show

Prince Andrew's damaged reputation led to links with Chinese man accused of spying, documents show

Crime

Celebrity|Crime|Entertainment|US

Sean 'Diddy' Combs hit with new sex trafficking charges a month before trial

Sean 'Diddy' Combs hit with new sex trafficking charges a month before trial
Americas|Crime|Political|World

Panamanian ex-leader Martinelli remains in the Nicaraguan Embassy after window to leave expired

Panamanian ex-leader Martinelli remains in the Nicaraguan Embassy after window to leave expired
Celebrity|Crime|Entertainment|US

Federal prosecutors announce more charges against Sean โ€˜Diddyโ€™ Combs

Federal prosecutors announce more charges against Sean โ€˜Diddyโ€™ Combs
Crime|Technology|US

An AI avatar tried to argue a case before a New York court. The judges weren't having it

An AI avatar tried to argue a case before a New York court. The judges weren't having it