The Los Angeles Post
U.S. World Business Lifestyle
Today: April 04, 2025
Today: April 04, 2025

Hungarians keep up protests against Orban's move to ban Pride

Demonstration against banning of the annual Pride march and curbing the rights of assembly, in Budapest
April 01, 2025

By Krisztina Fenyo and Gergely Szakacs

BUDAPEST (Reuters) - Thousands of Hungarians protested in Budapest on Tuesday against a law that aims to ban the annual Pride march by LGBTQ+ groups, and which is seen by critics as part of a wider crackdown on democratic freedoms ahead of a 2026 parliamentary election.

Right-wing Prime Minister Viktor Orban, who faces a strong challenge from a surging opposition party ahead of the vote, has criticised the LGBTQ+ community and pledged to curb foreign funding of independent media and non-governmental organisations in Hungary.

Hungarians keep up protests against Orban's move to ban Pride
Demonstration against banning of the annual Pride march and curbing the rights of assembly, in Budapest

Parliament, dominated by Orban's Fidesz party, passed a law last month to ban the Pride march on the grounds that it could be harmful to children. Orban, who has been in power since 2010, promotes a Christian-conservative agenda.

The law says police can use facial recognition cameras to identify people who attend the event, and impose fines on participants, which critics say could become a tool to target Orban's political opponents.

Orban has said the fact that rallies such as the one on Tuesday could take place meant there was no threat to democracy, calling opposition protests against the new law "provocation."

However, some demonstrators attending the protest, the third rally over Orban's reforms, voiced concerns about the health of Hungary's democracy more than two decades after it joined the European Union.

Hungarians keep up protests against Orban's move to ban Pride
Demonstration against banning of the annual Pride march and curbing the rights of assembly, in Budapest

A group of embassies in Budapest, including European states but not the United States, has also expressed concern over the changes.

"We, the undersigned Embassies, are deeply concerned about the legislation...that results in restrictions on the right of peaceful assembly and the freedom of expression," 22 embassies including France, Germany and the United Kingdom said.

Festival organisers say the Pride march poses no threat to children and they are planning to hold the event despite the ban.

(Writing by Gergely Szakacs; Editing by Alexandra Hudson)

Related Articles

Turkish protesters vow to carry on; Erdogan says 'show' will end Washington Postโ€™s turnaround on its opinion pages is returning journalism to its partisan roots โˆ’ but without the principles The sun is setting on government transparency in Florida โ€“ and secrecy creep is affecting the rest of the US, too Erdogan's fight with Turkish business stirs economic concern
Share This

Popular

Election|Europe|Political

Hard-right candidate leads field as new Romania election campaign begins

Hard-right candidate leads field as new Romania election campaign begins
Asia|Election|Political|World

South Koreans are still puzzling over why their leader declared martial law

South Koreans are still puzzling over why their leader declared martial law
Asia|Business|Economy|Election|Political

In leaderless South Korea, Trump's tariffs will overshadow snap election

In leaderless South Korea, Trump's tariffs will overshadow snap election
Australia|Business|Economy|Election|Political

Australia PM says working on plan for Chinese company to sell Darwin port to 'Australian hands'

Australia PM says working on plan for Chinese company to sell Darwin port to 'Australian hands'

Political

Business|Economy|Political|US|World

'This is a really big deal': Marc Stewart explains retaliatory tariffs from China

'This is a really big deal': Marc Stewart explains retaliatory tariffs from China
Africa|Political|World

Russia vows military backing for Sahel juntas' joint force

Russia vows military backing for Sahel juntas' joint force
Business|Political|Technology|US

Trump TikTok sale deadline looms as US looks for deal

Trump TikTok sale deadline looms as US looks for deal
Asia|Political|World

Myanmar confirms 180,000 Rohingya refugees eligible for return, says Bangladesh

Myanmar confirms 180,000 Rohingya refugees eligible for return, says Bangladesh

Access this article for free.

Already have an account? Sign In