The Los Angeles Post
U.S. World Business Lifestyle
Today: April 04, 2025
Today: April 04, 2025

Judge orders Las Vegas high schoolers held on no bail in classmate's deadly beating

High School Brawl Vegas
November 17, 2023
RIO YAMAT - AP

LAS VEGAS (AP) โ€” Four of the eight Las Vegas high school students accused of beating their schoolmate to death in an alley around the corner from campus made their first appearances Friday in the adult court system.

In separate hearings, the two 16-year-olds and two 17-year-olds were ordered to remain held without bail pending a formal hearing to address their custody status. The teens are due back in court next week.

The students each face one count of murder but have not been formally charged, court records show. The Associated Press is not naming them because they are juveniles.

Judge orders Las Vegas high schoolers held on no bail in classmate's deadly beating
High School Brawl Vegas

The other four suspects are awaiting separate hearings since they are all under the age of 16.

Earlier this week, Las Vegas police announced the arrests of the eight students, between the ages of 13 and 17, in connection with the Nov. 1 brawl that left 17-year-old Jonathan Lewis Jr. dead.

Authorities have said students at Rancho High School in eastern Las Vegas had agreed to meet after school let out that day in an alleyway around the corner from campus to fight over a pair of wireless headphones and a vape pen.

The fight was captured on cellphone video and widely shared across social media. Police said they are still working to identify and locate two more students seen in the footage taking part in the beating who also will face murder charges.

A prosecutor said Friday in court that the two remaining students were still at-large.

In Nevada, teenagers 16 or older accused of murder are automatically transferred to the adult court system. Thatโ€™s why a family court judge on Wednesday transferred the cases of the four students. Police records show that one of them turned 16 on the day of the fight.

Outside the courtroom, special public defender Daniel Martinez, who has been appointed to represent that 16-year-old defendant, said his client will plead not guilty if he is formally charged in the case.

Martinez said he also plans to argue for his clientโ€™s release from custody at his next court hearing, but he said he had no further comment.

As for the other four students who are under 16, hearings known as certification proceedings will be held at later dates to determine if they will be charged as adults.

By law in Nevada, a teenager accused of murder can be charged as an adult if they were 13 or older at the time of the alleged crime.

Police homicide Lt. Jason Johansson said they believe the headphones and vape pen had been stolen from the victimโ€™s friend earlier in the week, which resulted in the students agreeing to meet in the alleyway to fight.

Detectives think the victim wasnโ€™t originally supposed to be involved in the brawl, but he walked to the alleyway with his friend after school, Johansson said.

The victimโ€™s father, Jonathan Lewis Sr., said on a fundraising page created to help with funeral and medical costs that his son was attacked while standing up for his friend. The father has not responded to requests for an interview.

Johansson said the video of the brawl shows the victim taking off his shirt to prepare for the fight, and then the 10 students โ€œimmediately swarm him, pull him to the ground and begin kicking, punching and stomping on him."

He called the video โ€œvery void of humanityโ€ and said the victim was not defending himself as he was being attacked.

After the brawl, a person in the area found the victim badly beaten and unconscious and carried him back to campus, where school staff called 911, Johansson said.

Lewis Jr. was hospitalized with severe head trauma and other injuries and died a week later, according to the coroner's office in Las Vegas.

Share This

Popular

Celebrity|Crime|Entertainment|US

โ€˜The most powerful type of liarโ€™: Tapper asks Anna Delvey how she views her criminal past

โ€˜The most powerful type of liarโ€™: Tapper asks Anna Delvey how she views her criminal past
Crime|Education|Lifestyle|US

'Disgusting, excruciating': Woman who survived human trafficking in Milwaukee speaks out

'Disgusting, excruciating': Woman who survived human trafficking in Milwaukee speaks out
Celebrity|Crime|Entertainment|Europe

UK police charge comedian Russell Brand with rape and sexual assault

UK police charge comedian Russell Brand with rape and sexual assault
Crime|Europe|Health|Lifestyle

Aggressive hawk that terrorized English village for weeks finally captured by resident

Aggressive hawk that terrorized English village for weeks finally captured by resident

Crime

Americas|Crime|Political|US

The Trump administration says Tren de Aragua is a terrorist group โ€“ but itโ€™s really a transnational criminal organization. Hereโ€™s why the label matters.

The Trump administration says Tren de Aragua is a terrorist group โ€“ but itโ€™s really a transnational criminal organization. Hereโ€™s why the label matters.
Americas|Crime|Political|US

US judge to hear lawsuit of man deported to El Salvador in error

US judge to hear lawsuit of man deported to El Salvador in error
Americas|Crime|Political|US

Mistaken deportations stoke concerns over Trumpโ€™s aggressive immigration push

Mistaken deportations stoke concerns over Trumpโ€™s aggressive immigration push
Business|Crime|Economy|Europe|Finance

Scor under examination over former chair's alleged acts related to a Covea deal

Scor under examination over former chair's alleged acts related to a Covea deal

Access this article for free.

Already have an account? Sign In