The Los Angeles Post
U.S. World Business Lifestyle
Today: April 03, 2025
Today: April 03, 2025

Kremlin, asked about damaged Baltic pipeline, says threats to Russia 'unacceptable'

FILE PHOTO: Finland investigates suspected sabotage of Baltic-connector gas pipeline
April 26, 2024
Reuters - Reuters

MOSCOW (Reuters) - The Kremlin said on Monday that any threats made against Russia were "unacceptable" after Latvia's president said NATO should shut the Baltic Sea to shipping if Moscow were found responsible for damage to a gas pipeline between Finland and Estonia.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov also repeated Moscow's denial of any involvement in the damage inflicted on the Balticconnector pipeline and a telecoms cable on Oct. 8.

Finnish investigators have said the damage may have been an act of sabotage, though they have yet to conclude whether it was an accident or a deliberate act.

Latvian President Edgars Rinkevics said in a TV interview last week that NATO should close the Baltic Sea to ships if Russia were proven responsible for the damage to the Balticconnector.

Finland, Estonia and Latvia are all members of the Western NATO military alliance.

Asked about Rinkevics' remarks, Peskov told a regular news briefing: "Any threats must be taken seriously, no matter who they come from. Any threats to the Russian Federation are unacceptable."

"I repeat once again: Russia has nothing to do with this (incident)," he said.

Finland has said its investigation is currently focused on the role of the Chinese NewNew Polar Bear container vessel.

Peskov said he would like to ask Rinkevics in turn about the explosions last year that ruptured Russia's Nord Stream gas pipelines under the Baltic, which Moscow has said - without providing evidence - were carried out by the United States and its allies.

Washington denies any responsibility for the blasts. Swedish, Danish and German investigators have blamed sabotage but have not yet decided who was behind it.

"I would like to ask Mr. President (Rinkevics) what needs to be done with the Baltic Sea after the investigation is completed and after it becomes clear who carried out and who ordered the terrorist attack in the Baltic against the Nord Streams," Peskov said.

"On this score, Mr. President decided to remain silent and not speak," Peskov added.

(Reporting by Reuters; Writing by Gareth Jones; Editing by Mark Trevelyan)

Related Articles

LA municipal utility says no evidence energized power line caused fire EU must acquire all means to defend itself against military aggression, EU's Costa says FBI launches task force targeting anti-Tesla โ€˜domestic terrorismโ€™ Fact check: Trump exaggerates trade deficits, his 2024 vote total, Ukraine aid, border crossings and fentanyl deaths
Share This

Popular

Business|Economy|Europe|Finance|Political|Stock Markets|US|World

Trump's tariffs dull the dollar's safe-haven sheen

Trump's tariffs dull the dollar's safe-haven sheen
Business|Economy|Europe|Political|World

Trump tariffs will harm U.S. economy even without Europeean response, says Germany's Scholz

Trump tariffs will harm U.S. economy even without Europeean response, says Germany's Scholz
Europe|Political|US|World

NATO foreign ministers seek reassurance on US commitment to alliance

NATO foreign ministers seek reassurance on US commitment to alliance
Europe|MidEast|Political|World

Israeli foreign minister says not ruling out diplomacy to stop Iran nuclear weapon

Israeli foreign minister says not ruling out diplomacy to stop Iran nuclear weapon

Political

Australia|Business|Economy|Political|Stock Markets

Traders seek refuge in Aussie consumer staples as US tariffs spark market fall

Traders seek refuge in Aussie consumer staples as US tariffs spark market fall
Africa|Crime|Political|World

Senegal lifts amnesty for some offences during deadly 2021-24 protests

Senegal lifts amnesty for some offences during deadly 2021-24 protests
Business|Economy|Europe|Political|World

Trump tariffs will harm U.S. economy even without Europeean response, says Germany's Scholz

Trump tariffs will harm U.S. economy even without Europeean response, says Germany's Scholz
Europe|Political|US|World

NATO foreign ministers seek reassurance on US commitment to alliance

NATO foreign ministers seek reassurance on US commitment to alliance

Access this article for free.

Already have an account? Sign In