The Los Angeles Post
U.S. World Business Lifestyle
Today: April 04, 2025
Today: April 04, 2025

Man charged in NYC subway chokehold death set to stand trial

Subway Chokehold Death
October 20, 2024

NEW YORK (AP) โ€” To some New Yorkers, heโ€™s the white vigilante who choked an innocent Black man to death on the subway. To others, heโ€™s the U.S. Marine Corps veteran whose attempt to subdue a mentally ill man ended in tragedy.

A Manhattan jury will soon have its say on Daniel Penny, who is charged with manslaughter for placing Jordan Neely in a fatal chokehold on May 1, 2023. Jury selection in Pennyโ€™s trial begins Monday.

The court proceedings, which are expected to last six weeks, will shed light on a killing that was a flashpoint in the nationโ€™s debate over racial injustice and crime.

Man charged in NYC subway chokehold death set to stand trial
Subway Chokehold Death

Neely's death also divided a city grappling with what to do about people experiencing mental health crises in a transit system where some subway straphangers still don't feel safe, despite a drop in violent crime rates.

โ€œThere is simply no reason for Jordan Neeley to be dead today,โ€ David Giffen, executive director of the Coalition for the Homeless, told The Associated Press on Wednesday. โ€œSo many systems failed Jordan and contributed to his death."

Penny, 25, has been free on a $100,000 bond. He faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted of second-degree manslaughter and up to four years if convicted of criminally negligent homicide.

Witnesses said Neely โ€” a 30-year-old former Michael Jackson street impersonator struggling with drug addiction, mental illness and homelessness โ€” had been shouting, throwing things and acting erratically on a subway train in Manhattan when Penny approached him.

Man charged in NYC subway chokehold death set to stand trial
Subway Chokehold Death

With the help of two other passengers, Penny pinned Neely to the ground and placed him in a chokehold for more than three minutes until Neelyโ€™s body went limp and he lost consciousness. The medical examinerโ€™s office ruled the death a homicide caused by compression of the neck.

The encounter sparked nearly two weeks of protests before Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Braggโ€™s office brought an indictment.

Meanwhile, millions of dollars in donations poured in from across the country to help Penny cover his legal costs, including from prominent conservative personalities and Republican candidates for president.

Pennyโ€™s lawyers have argued that the Long Island native didnโ€™t intend to kill Neely, just to hold him down long enough for police to arrive, as he was concerned for the safety of others.

โ€œIf Danny is convicted, his conviction will have a chilling effect on every New Yorkerโ€™s right and duty to stand up for each other,โ€ Pennyโ€™s lawyer Steven Raiser said Wednesday. โ€œOur sincerest hope is that New Yorkers selected for this jury will stand up for Danny just like Danny stood up for them back on that train over a year ago today.โ€

Penny, who served four years in the Marines before being discharged in 2021, claimed that Neely shouted โ€œIโ€™m gonnaโ€™ kill youโ€ and that he was โ€œready to dieโ€ or go to jail for life.

But Neelyโ€™s family and supporters have said he was simply crying out for help. They said his mental health deteriorated after his motherโ€™s body was found stuffed in a suitcase in the Bronx and he testified at her boyfriendโ€™s murder trial.

Some witnesses, including a freelance journalist who captured video of some of the altercation, also said Neely had been acting aggressively and frightening people but hadnโ€™t attacked anyone before Penny pulled him to the floor.

Neelyโ€™s surviving family members say theyโ€™ve been anticipating this moment and intend to attend the trial.

โ€œI just want to look into his face and wonder why he would do something like that,โ€ said Mildred Mahazu, Neelyโ€™s 85-year-old aunt and primary caretaker after his mother died. โ€œJordan was somebodyโ€™s child. He was loved by his family.โ€

Neelyโ€™s uncle, Christopher Neely, agreed.

โ€œJustice for Jordan is all we think about,โ€ the 45-year-old Manhattan resident said. โ€œWe canโ€™t let Jordanโ€™s name be added to the list of Black people killed by a racist white person with no justice.โ€

Prosecutors argued in court filings that Pennyโ€™s actions were unwarranted, reckless and negligent, even if he didnโ€™t have the intention to kill.

Theyโ€™ve focused on recorded statements Penny made to police in which he describes Neely as a โ€œcrackhead,โ€ touts his armed forces experience and demonstrates to officers the submission technique he used.

โ€œI just put him out. I just put him in a chokehold,โ€ Penny said, according to a transcript of the recordings included in court filings. โ€œHe was threatening everybody.โ€

โ€œIโ€™m not trying to kill the guy,โ€ Penny said at another point to police. โ€œIโ€™m just trying to deescalate the situation.โ€

Braggโ€™s office declined to comment beyond what its said in court filings. Prosecutors, in pretrial hearings, sought to exclude evidence about Neelyโ€™s medical and psychological history, including his record of substance abuse. The judge hadnโ€™t released his ruling on that request as of Friday.

Raiser said Pennyโ€™s defense will offer up other potential causes for Neelyโ€™s death, including high levels of the synthetic cannabinoid known as K2 that were identified in toxicology reports.

Theyโ€™ll also argue that video shared widely on social media proves Penny was not applying pressure consistently enough to render Neely unconscious, much less kill him, he said.

โ€œIf he was applying that kind of pressure, Mr. Neely would have been rendered unconscious long before the video, circulating online, ever started,โ€ Raiser said.

In January, Pennyโ€™s lawyers lost their bid to have the case dismissed outright. Then earlier this month, Judge Maxwell Wiley rejected their request to prevent jurors from hearing Penny's statements to police, as well as body camera footage from officers who initially responded.

Pennyโ€™s attorneys argued that police should have read Penny his Miranda rights sooner and that his questioning at the police station amounted to an illegal arrest.

But Wiley, in a written ruling, determined that Pennyโ€™s statements were admissible. The judge said Penny had waived his rights against self-incrimination in the interrogation room and willingly spoke to officers without a lawyer present.

As for Christopher Neely, he hopes whatโ€™s not lost in the trial is the memory of his late nephew.

โ€œI want people to remember his strengths and his conquests to greatness and his conquering of fears,โ€ he wrote. โ€œI want people to remember that mental health is a serious issue and that it needs tenderness, not spontaneous rage. Most importantly, I want people to know that Jordan Neely was supremely loved and still is.โ€

___

Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo.

Related Articles

Man pleads guilty to impersonating cop, kidnapping woman Homeless mom finds shelter 9-year-old turns bedtime thoughts into action with pillow drive for homeless Arizona executes a man who murdered his girlfriend's ex-husband
Share This

Popular

Celebrity|Crime|Entertainment|US

โ€˜The most powerful type of liarโ€™: Tapper asks Anna Delvey how she views her criminal past

โ€˜The most powerful type of liarโ€™: Tapper asks Anna Delvey how she views her criminal past
Crime|US

Prosecutors seek death penalty in Tavares torture, abuse case after couple indicted on higher charges

Prosecutors seek death penalty in Tavares torture, abuse case after couple indicted on higher charges
Crime|Health|Lifestyle|Political|US

First safe outdoor space for homeless opens in International District

First safe outdoor space for homeless opens in International District
Americas|Crime|Political|US

The US must return a Maryland man mistakenly deported to an El Salvador prison, judge says

The US must return a Maryland man mistakenly deported to an El Salvador prison, judge says

Crime

Crime|Political|US

LA County reaches $4 billion agreement to settle sexual abuse claims at juvenile facilities

LA County reaches $4 billion agreement to settle sexual abuse claims at juvenile facilities
Americas|Crime|Political|US

Judge orders Trump administration to return deported Maryland man to US from El Salvador

Judge orders Trump administration to return deported Maryland man to US from El Salvador
Celebrity|Crime|Entertainment|US

Sean 'Diddy' Combs hit with new sex trafficking charges a month before trial

Sean 'Diddy' Combs hit with new sex trafficking charges a month before trial
Americas|Crime|Political|World

Panamanian ex-leader Martinelli remains in the Nicaraguan Embassy after window to leave expired

Panamanian ex-leader Martinelli remains in the Nicaraguan Embassy after window to leave expired

Access this article for free.

Already have an account? Sign In