The Los Angeles Post
U.S. World Business Lifestyle
Today: April 03, 2025
Today: April 03, 2025

Mistrial declared after jury deadlocks in rape case of former New Hampshire youth center worker

Youth Center Abuse
September 03, 2024

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) โ€” The first criminal case linked to New Hampshireโ€™s sprawling child abuse scandal ended in a mistrial Tuesday after a jury deadlocked on charges against a former youth detention facility staffer accused of raping a teenage girl in 2001.

Victor Malavet, 62, is one of nine men charged in the 5-year-old investigation into abuse allegations at the Sununu Youth Services Center in Manchester, though unlike the others, he worked at a separate state-run facility in Concord.

After roughly 11 hours of deliberations over three days, jurors said they were deadlocked on the 12 counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault.

Mistrial declared after jury deadlocks in rape case of former New Hampshire youth center worker
Youth Center Abuse

Jurors had indicated they were deadlocked two hours earlier, but Judge Dan St. Hilaire instructed them to continue. He declared a mistrial after receiving a note from the jury stating: โ€œAfter additional time with thoughtful deliberation, we are still unable to come to a unanimous decision on any charges.โ€

During the four-day trial, Natasha Maunsell, who was 15 and 16 when she was held at the facility in 2001 and 2002, testified that Malavet frequently arranged to be alone with her in a candy storage room, the laundry room and other locations and repeatedly raped her.

โ€œI remember having this gut wrenching feeling that this is never going to end. This is never going to stop, and itโ€™s going to continue the same way every time,โ€ she testified.

Malavet did not testify, and his attorneys called no witnesses in his defense. But jurors heard him deny the allegations Thursday during the testimony of a state police officer who had been authorized to secretly record her interview with him in April 2021.

Mistrial declared after jury deadlocks in rape case of former New Hampshire youth center worker
Youth Center-Sex Abuse

โ€œThe only relationship I had with her, and all the kids, was just a professional relationship,โ€ he said.

Malavetโ€™s attorneys argued that Maunsell made up the allegations in order to get money from a lawsuit. Maunsell is among more than 1,100 former residents who have filed suits alleging abuse spanning six decades and has received about $150,000 in loans in advance of a settlement.

โ€œItโ€™s all lies. Money changes everything, but it canโ€™t change the truth,โ€ defense attorney Jaye Duncan said in her closing argument.

Both sides declined to comment after the mistrial was declared. The judge said a status conference would be held before the trial is rescheduled. In a statement, Attorney General John Formella called the outcome disappointing but said his office remains committed to prosecuting abusers.

Mistrial declared after jury deadlocks in rape case of former New Hampshire youth center worker
Youth-Center-Sex-Abuse

In the only civil case to go to trial so far, a jury awarded David Meehan $38 million in May for abuse he says he suffered at the Youth Development Center in the 1990s, though the verdict remains in dispute.

Together, the two trials highlight the unusual dynamic of having the state attorney generalโ€™s office simultaneously prosecute those accused of committing offenses and defend the state. While attorneys for the state spent much of Meehanโ€™s trial portraying him as a violent child, troublemaking teenager and a delusional adult, state prosecutors relied on Mansellโ€™s testimony in the criminal case.

The Associated Press does not typically identify people who say theyโ€™ve been sexually assaulted unless they come forward publicly as Maunsell has done.

During the trial, Maunsell acknowledged that she denied having been sexually assaulted when asked in 2002, 2017 and 2019. She said she lied the first time because she was still at the facility and feared retaliation, and again in the later years because she didnโ€™t think anyone would believe her.

โ€œIt had been so long that I didnโ€™t think anybody would even care,โ€ she said. โ€œI didnโ€™t think it would matter to anyone โ€ฆ so I kept it in for a long time.โ€

Related Articles

Karen Read in court as judge schedules January retrial in Boston police officer's death Karen Readโ€™s defense team says jurors were unanimous on acquitting her of murder John O'Keefe's brother speaks about Karen Read mistrial in first interview, says "We know what happened" Mistrial declared for Karen Read, accused of killing her police officer boyfriend โ€“ and an investigator is relieved of duty
Share This

Popular

Crime|MidEast|Political|World

Palestinian family says son was tortured to death for publicly criticizing Hamas

Palestinian family says son was tortured to death for publicly criticizing Hamas
Americas|Crime|Political|US

Priscilla Alvarez on what we know about father mistakenly deported, sent to El Salvador prison

Priscilla Alvarez on what we know about father mistakenly deported, sent to El Salvador prison
Americas|Crime|Economy|Political|World

Thousands of Haitians take to streets to protest surging gang violence

Thousands of Haitians take to streets to protest surging gang violence
Crime|Education|MidEast|Political|US

Federal judge to consider case of Georgetown fellow arrested by ICE

Federal judge to consider case of Georgetown fellow arrested by ICE

Crime

Americas|Crime|Political|US

US arrests alleged MS-13 gang leader linked to Nevada murders

US arrests alleged MS-13 gang leader linked to Nevada murders
Crime|Europe|Political|World

Eleven more Ukrainian children return home from Russia, Russian-held areas

Eleven more Ukrainian children return home from Russia, Russian-held areas
Business|Crime|Technology

โ€˜He just wouldnโ€™t stop staring at meโ€™: Tesla drivers say theyโ€™re being harassed on road

โ€˜He just wouldnโ€™t stop staring at meโ€™: Tesla drivers say theyโ€™re being harassed on road
Business|Crime|Technology|US

Man faces charges after Teslas set on fire with Molotov cocktails

Man faces charges after Teslas set on fire with Molotov cocktails

Access this article for free.

Already have an account? Sign In