The Los Angeles Post
U.S. World Business Lifestyle
Today: April 05, 2025
Today: April 05, 2025

Mistrial declared after New Hampshire jury deadlocks in youth detention center rape case

Youth-Center-Abuse
January 22, 2025

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) โ€” A judge declared a mistrial Wednesday after jurors deadlocked on whether a former worker at New Hampshire's youth detention center raped a 14-year-old boy in 1998, but the defendant still faces 15 other charges in separate cases.

Jurors were unable to reach a verdict in the trial of Stephen Murphy, 55, of Danvers, Massachusetts, marking the second mistrial connected to abuse allegations at state-run youth facilities. Jurors first indicated they were at an impasse Wednesday morning, their second day of deliberations.

โ€œWe are obviously disappointed that the jury could not reach a unanimous decision in this case,โ€ Attorney General John Formellaโ€™s office said in a statement. โ€œHowever, we respect the legal process and the careful deliberation of the jurors. We remain committed to seeking justice for all victims and holding all of the perpetrators accountable.โ€

Mistrial declared after New Hampshire jury deadlocks in youth detention center rape case
Youth Center Abuse

No decision on whether to retry the case has been made, said Michael Garrity, spokesperson for the office. Murphy is scheduled for trial in April, July and October on the additional charges involving three other boys who were at the facility in the 1990s.

In the current case, Murphy was charged with aggravated felonious sexual assault and accused of helping to carry a 14-year-old boy to a stairwell at the Youth Development Center in Manchester and then raping him while coworkers restrained the teen. One of the other men, Brad Asbury, was convicted in November of two counts of being an accomplice to aggravated sexual assault and is scheduled to be sentenced Jan. 27.

It was the arrest of Murphy and another former youth counselor in 2019 that thrust allegations of widespread abuse at the facility, now called the Sununu Youth Services Center, into public view.

During his three-day trial, jurors heard from Michael Gilpatrick, who previously had testified about the allegations at both Asburyโ€™s criminal trial and at a civil trial involving another former youth center resident. He said he didnโ€™t tell anyone what happened to him at the time because dorm leaders were involved in the assault, and he then spent decades trying to bury his memories.

Mistrial declared after New Hampshire jury deadlocks in youth detention center rape case
Youth-Center-Abuse

โ€œOnce I was about to accept the fact that it wasnโ€™t my fault and I was able to stop blaming myself, I knew I had to say something,โ€ he testified on Jan. 16.

In closing arguments Tuesday, defense attorney Charles Keefe emphasized inconsistencies between Gilpatrickโ€™s trial testimony and what he told police in 2020 and suggested he has โ€œmade it worse with each tellingโ€ in hopes of winning money in a separate civil lawsuit.

โ€œWhen he changes everything that he says happened before and after and even during the alleged assault, he has forfeited the privilege of having you believe him,โ€ Keefe told jurors.

Keefe also contrasted the way Murphy calmly answered โ€œabsolutely notโ€ to repeated questions about whether he abused Gilpatrick with the anger Gilpatrick displayed during his testimony.

Mistrial declared after New Hampshire jury deadlocks in youth detention center rape case
Youth Center Abuse

โ€œHeโ€™s told this story many times since 2020, but he still acted like it was the first time he was telling it,โ€ Keefe said. โ€œProsecutors may suggest to you this means he relives it with each telling. Our common experience tells us that the more we talk about something awful that actually happened, the easier it is.โ€

Assistant Attorney General Audriana Mekula countered that Gilpatrick came forward โ€œnot for money that he doesnโ€™t need or attention that he doesnโ€™t wantโ€ but because it was the right thing to do, even if it meant hours talking about sexual assault in a courtroom packed with Murphyโ€™s friends and relatives.

โ€œDo you think heโ€™d willingly do that in front of all these people, these strangers, and feel that raw emotion of the moment, the anger, the sadness and the exhaustion, if this did not really happen?โ€ she said. โ€œHe has not healed from what the defendant did to him, but his behavior in that healing process does not mean heโ€™s forfeited his privilege for you to believe him.โ€

Murphy and another former employee were arrested in July 2019 and charged with sexually assaulting David Meehan, who later became the first of more than 1,100 former residents who have sued the state alleging physical, sexual or emotional abuse spanning six decades. A jury awarded Meehan $38 million in May, though that verdict remains in dispute as the state seeks to reduce the amount to $475,000.

Concurrent with Murphyโ€™s arrest, the attorney generalโ€™s office launched a broad investigation into the facility. A total of 11 men have been arrested, though charges against one were dropped due to a lack of evidence, another was found incompetent to stand trial and a third died awaiting trial. Murphy was the fourth to go to trial.

In addition to Asbury, Stanley Watson was convicted Jan. 13 of three counts of aggravated sexual assault against two boys. Another case that ended in a hung jury is expected to be retried later this year.

The Associated Press generally does not identify those who say they were victims of sexual assault unless they have come forward publicly, as Meehan and Gilpatrick have done.

The youth center, which once housed upward of 100 children but now typically serves fewer than a dozen, is named for former Gov. John H. Sununu. Lawmakers have approved closing the facility, which now only houses those accused or convicted of the most serious violent crimes, and replacing it with a much smaller building in a new location.

Share This

Popular

Celebrity|Crime|Entertainment|US

โ€˜The most powerful type of liarโ€™: Tapper asks Anna Delvey how she views her criminal past

โ€˜The most powerful type of liarโ€™: Tapper asks Anna Delvey how she views her criminal past
Crime|Political|US

Prosecutors seek 7 years in prison for disgraced ex-US Rep. George Santos in federal fraud case

Prosecutors seek 7 years in prison for disgraced ex-US Rep. George Santos in federal fraud case
Crime|Election|Political|US

George Santos should serve over 7 years in prison, US prosecutors say

George Santos should serve over 7 years in prison, US prosecutors say
Arts|Celebrity|Crime|Entertainment|US

Ex-assistant says filmmaker Paul Schrader sexually assaulted her and backed out of settlement deal

Ex-assistant says filmmaker Paul Schrader sexually assaulted her and backed out of settlement deal

Crime

Celebrity|Crime|Health|US

Jeffrey Epstein accuser ends 'sex slave' lawsuit against prominent psychiatrist

Jeffrey Epstein accuser ends 'sex slave' lawsuit against prominent psychiatrist
Crime|Economy|US

Los Angeles County to settle over 6,800 sex abuse claims for $4 billion

Los Angeles County to settle over 6,800 sex abuse claims for $4 billion
Crime|Economy|US

A list of the largest settlements reached by organizations and victims of sexual abuse

A list of the largest settlements reached by organizations and victims of sexual abuse
Celebrity|Crime|Europe|Political

UK courts release new documents on Prince Andrewโ€™s relationship to alleged Chinese spy

UK courts release new documents on Prince Andrewโ€™s relationship to alleged Chinese spy

Access this article for free.

Already have an account? Sign In