The Los Angeles Post
U.S. World Business Lifestyle
Today: April 04, 2025
Today: April 04, 2025

NASCAR returns to the Coliseum with the future of Clash event uncertain in Southern California

NASCAR The Clash Auto Racing
February 02, 2024

NASCAR's debut on a temporary track inside the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum two years ago was a bold experiment that featured a pre-race show by Pitbull, a halftime performance by Ice Cube, a rowdy USC student section and some pretty decent racing.

The made-for-TV event was a clear success in 2022, the first time a season-opening exhibition had not been held at Daytona International Speedway since its 1979 inception. NASCAR tried for another hit last year with a second Clash at the Coliseum and it wasn't the same.

The racing was unwatchable, enthusiasm for the event had slipped after only one year and the Clash came off as simply an excuse for NASCAR to maintain a presence in Southern California.

NASCAR returns to the Coliseum with the future of Clash event uncertain in Southern California
NASCAR The Clash Auto Racing

The third Clash is set for this weekend with NASCAR's immediate future in the coveted Los Angeles market in jeopardy. If the novelty has truly worn off, the Clash could very well be on the move in 2025.

The race isn't until Sunday and the road has already been bumpy. NASCAR said it wouldn't open the grandstands to spectators for Saturday's heat races but reversed its decision after fan outrage. Drivers for weeks have been promoting discount codes for tickets on their social media accounts, and a marketing team has been handing out leaflets about the Clash across LA.

Ben Kennedy, the great-grandson of NASCAR's founder and architect of the Clash at the Coliseum, said the driver discount codes and street-level marketing are not reason for alarm but simply new sales tactics in an aggressive market. NASCAR's senior vice president of racing development and strategy said he believes the appetite for racing at the Coliseum is there.

โ€œThe interest is still strong. The first year, it was new and novel and we'd never done anything like that before, and frankly I don't think anyone has ever built a temporary racetrack inside a stadium that is a century old,โ€ Kennedy said. โ€œThe second year, obviously a lot of return customers and some new customers as well. In this third year, we are seeing similar trends to what we saw last year.โ€

He said the new marketing and promotion efforts is "an opportunity to test out new methods and exercises that we might want to apply to some other tracks.โ€

The stakes are high for NASCAR in the Southern California market because the Coliseum race is the only stop in Los Angeles this year. California Speedway, which hosted the top Cup Series from 1997 until last year, is dormant. Plans had been to convert the speedway into a short track, but Kennedy acknowledged there is no current construction.

NASCAR has looked at โ€œa dozen different conceptsโ€ in the market but hasn't found anything enticing. Kennedy said the future of the Clash at the Coliseum is not tied to the progress of California Speedway and that the market can sustain two races each year.

He did not rule out the possibility NASCAR could find itself locked out of Los Angeles.

โ€œIf we had our druthers, we would have a race in Southern California every year,โ€ Kennedy said. โ€œBut a lot of that will depend on what the future of both of those tracks and both of those concepts look like.โ€

As Kennedy explores taking NASCAR international, the Clash could be a candidate for racing in another country. This year's event has added NASCAR's Mexico Series as a companion race and Cup star Daniel Suarez is in the field, along with reigning series champion Salvador de Alba, who this season will juggle a schedule that includes stock cars and IndyCar's ladder system.

The Mexico Series will be on the track before the Cup cars both Saturday and Sunday.

โ€œIt is a huge opportunity to get into the Southern California market and be paired with the Cup Series, not just the same weekend, but literally minutes before (a Cup heat race),โ€ Kennedy said. โ€œIt's a huge opportunity for them to get their name in front of a lot of new fans, a lot of core fans, and these are drivers who are eventually going to be competing in the Clash at some point.โ€

The entertainment lineup for the event Sunday has DJ Dillon Francis performing before the race, boxer Canelo Alvarez scheduled to give the command to start engines and Machine Gun Kelly is the mid-race break performance.

___

AP auto racing: https://apnews.com/hub/auto-racing

Related Articles

Josh Berry races to 1st Cup Series victory, gives Wood Brothers 101st win with Las Vegas score Katherine Legge becomes first woman to race in NASCAR Cup Series since 2018 Chase Briscoe wins appeal over modified spoiler during Daytona 500 pole-winning run Katherine Legge to be the 1st woman in 7 years to compete in NASCAR Cup Series race
Share This

Popular

Business|Sports|Technology

AI vs. pro gambler's $1 million March Madness bet coming down to Duke and Houston

AI vs. pro gambler's $1 million March Madness bet coming down to Duke and Houston
Health|Lifestyle|Sports

'If they can do it, I can do it': 97-year-old Gene Wagner never misses a shift

'If they can do it, I can do it': 97-year-old Gene Wagner never misses a shift
Sports

MASTERS '25: Scottie Scheffler the latest in a long line who learned from Randy Smith

MASTERS '25: Scottie Scheffler the latest in a long line who learned from Randy Smith
Celebrity|Europe|Sports

'Time to say goodbye': Kevin De Bruyne to leave Man City

'Time to say goodbye': Kevin De Bruyne to leave Man City

Sports

Sports|US

Women's Final Four brings powerhouses UConn, UCLA, Texas and South Carolina to Tampa

Women's Final Four brings powerhouses UConn, UCLA, Texas and South Carolina to Tampa
Sports|US

Grant Fisher: American runner achieves โ€˜super, super rareโ€™ back-to-back world records

Grant Fisher: American runner achieves โ€˜super, super rareโ€™ back-to-back world records
Economy|Sports|US

Worldโ€™s top tennis players reportedly request โ€˜substantial increaseโ€™ in grand slam prize money

Worldโ€™s top tennis players reportedly request โ€˜substantial increaseโ€™ in grand slam prize money
Sports|US

โ€˜I donโ€™t care no moreโ€™: Ja Morant hits game winner after repeating gun gesture following reported warning from NBA

โ€˜I donโ€™t care no moreโ€™: Ja Morant hits game winner after repeating gun gesture following reported warning from NBA

Access this article for free.

Already have an account? Sign In