The Los Angeles Post
U.S. World Business Lifestyle
Today: April 04, 2025
Today: April 04, 2025

New Caledonia Indigenous independence leader transferred to mainland France for pretrial detention

New Caledonia
June 23, 2024

NICE, France (AP) — A pro-independence leader in the French Pacific territory of New Caledonia was transferred to a jail in mainland France to await trial on charges relating to two weeks of unrest in May that left nine people dead, the public prosecutor in the territory said Sunday.

Christian Tein, an Indigenous Kanak leader of the pro-independence party known as The Field Action Coordination Unit, was flown to mainland France overnight Saturday, along with six other activists, prosecutor Yves Dupas said in a statement.

The seven Kanak activists were transferred to pretrial detention on “a specially chartered plane” because of “the sensitivity of the procedure,” Dupas said. Moving the detained activists into custody 17,000 kilometers (10,500 miles) away from their homeland would allow the investigation into their alleged wrongdoings to continue “in a calm manner and without any pressure,” he said.

New Caledonia Indigenous independence leader transferred to mainland France for pretrial detention
New Caledonia Unrest

The Kanak people have sought for decades to break free from France, which first took New Caledonia in 1853.

Violence flared on May 13 in response to attempts by French President Emmanuel Macron’s government to amend the French Constitution and change voting lists in New Caledonia. France declared a state of emergency two days later, rushing hundreds of troop reinforcements to help police quell the revolt that included shootings, clashes, looting and arson.

The prosecutor did not name the other six detained activists who were transferred to mainland France. Reports in French media suggested they include the pro-independence group's communications director, Brenda Wanabo, and Frédérique Muliava, chief of staff to the president of New Caledonia's Congress.

The violence led to nine deaths and widespread destruction of shops, businesses and homes.

On Wednesday, 11 Kanak activists were arrested in a broad police raid targeting the Field Action Coordination Unit. The detentions were part of a police investigation launched on May 17, just days after protests against the Paris-pushed voting reform turned violent.

On Saturday, the activists appeared in front of the investigative judge. The charges they face include complicity in attempted murder, organized theft with a weapon, organized destruction of private property while endangering people, and participation in a criminal group with an intent to plan a crime.

In the past seven months, Tein’s Field Action Coordination Unit has organized major, peaceful marches in New Caledonia against the French authorities and the Paris-backed voting reform that Kanaks fear would further marginalize them.

With France now plunged into frenzied campaigning for snap parliamentary elections, French President Emmanuel Macron suspended the changes to voting rights in New Caledonia.

Tein and nine other pro-independence leaders were placed under house arrest when the violence started. French Interior and Overseas Territories Minister Gérald Darmanin said last month that Tein's party was a “small group which calls itself pro-independence, but instead commits looting, murder and violence.”

The National Council of Chiefs of the Indigenous Kanak people rejected allegations that the group was involved in the deadly violence. Grand Chief Hippolyte Sinewami-Htamumu expressed full support for the pro-independence group, which has mobilized more than 100,000 people “of all ages and from all backgrounds” in peaceful protests in recent months in the capital, Nouméa, and throughout the island.

Tein was among pro-independence leaders who met with Macron during his whirlwind trip to New Caledonia last month to calm the unrest. After the meeting, the Kanak leader appealed to protesters to “remain mobilized (and) maintain all (forms) of resistance” to achieve their main objective, which he said was, ”full independence."

New Caledonia became French in 1853 under Emperor Napoleon III, Napoleon’s nephew and heir. It became an overseas territory after World War II, with French citizenship granted to all Kanaks in 1957.

Related Articles

Over 200 ‘Tesla Takedown’ protests take place throughout US on ‘Global Day of Action’ against Elon Musk’s role with DOGE Transgender teens fight back against Trump's ban on participation in girls' sports Lawyer for immigration activist Jeanette Vizguerra suspects ICE is retaliating against her Turkish student at Tufts University is latest Palestinian supporter swept up in US crackdown
Share This

Popular

Asia|Political|World

South Korea's Constitutional Court is set to rule on the impeachment of Yoon

South Korea's Constitutional Court is set to rule on the impeachment of Yoon
Asia|Business|Political|World

Airline pilots need to be able to voice safety concerns freely, global union body says

Airline pilots need to be able to voice safety concerns freely, global union body says
Asia|Business|Economy

Japan February household spending dips as inflation weighs

Japan February household spending dips as inflation weighs
Asia|Business|Economy|Finance|Political

BOJ to keep raising rates if inflation heads toward 2%, deputy governor says

BOJ to keep raising rates if inflation heads toward 2%, deputy governor says

Crime

Asia|Crime|Political|World

South Korea's impeached President Yoon faces court ruling to decide his fate

South Korea's impeached President Yoon faces court ruling to decide his fate
Business|Crime|Political|US

Judge grants US request to end foreign bribery case, following Trump executive order

Judge grants US request to end foreign bribery case, following Trump executive order
Americas|Crime|Political|US|World

Judge says US government may have 'acted in bad faith' as he weighs contempt over deportation order

Judge says US government may have 'acted in bad faith' as he weighs contempt over deportation order
Americas|Crime|Political|World

Nicaraguan officials committed 'systematic repression,' UN says

Nicaraguan officials committed 'systematic repression,' UN says

Access this article for free.

Already have an account? Sign In