The Los Angeles Post
U.S. World Business Lifestyle
Today: April 05, 2025
Today: April 05, 2025

New generation must take up fight against nuclear weapons, Nobel laureate group says

Nobel Peace Prize 2024
December 10, 2024
Nora Buli - Reuters

By Nora Buli

OSLO (Reuters) - Young people must take up the fight for a nuclear-free world, with such weapons many times more powerful than in the past, a representative for this year's Nobel Peace Prize laureate, atomic bomb survivors' group Nihon Hidankyo, said on Tuesday.

Nihon Hidankyo, a grassroots movement of survivors of the 1945 nuclear bombings of Japanese cities Hiroshima and Nagasaki, is campaigning for a world free of nuclear weapons using witness testimony.

New generation must take up fight against nuclear weapons, Nobel laureate group says
Nobel Peace Prize 2024

The average age of Japan's atomic bomb survivors is now 85, Terumi Tanaka, a co-chair of the group, said when accepting the prize at a ceremony held at Oslo City Hall attended by Norway's King Harald, Queen Sonja and other dignitaries.

"Any one of you could become either a victim or a perpetrator, at any time," Tanaka, 92, told the audience.

"Ten years from now, there may only be a handful of us able to give testimony as firsthand survivors. From now on, I hope that the next generation will find ways to build on our efforts and develop the movement even further."

His group had "undoubtedly" played a major role in creating the worldwide standard that it was unacceptable to use atomic weapons, or 'nuclear taboo', he said. But that standard was being weakened, he added.

New generation must take up fight against nuclear weapons, Nobel laureate group says
Nobel Peace Prize 2024

"In addition to the civilian casualties, I am infinitely saddened and angered that the 'nuclear taboo' risks being broken," he said.

Threats to use nuclear weapons had been made in the ongoing wars in Ukraine and Gaza, Tanaka said, warning that 4,000 nuclear warheads were ready to be launched immediately around the world.

Nihon Hidankyo is also represented at the ceremony by its two other co-chairs, Shigemitsu Tanaka, 84, and Toshiyuki Mimaki, 82.

An estimated 210,000 people died, either immediately or over time, as a result of the bombs dropped in 1945 on Hiroshima and Nagasaki on Aug. 6 and Aug. 9, respectively. Today's nuclear weapons are far more powerful than those used at that time.

New generation must take up fight against nuclear weapons, Nobel laureate group says
Nobel Peace Prize 2024

Tanaka was 13 years old at the time of the Nagasaki bombing, and although he survived the explosion almost unharmed at his home some 3 km (1.9 miles) from ground zero, he lost five family members and recalled harrowing encounters.

"The deaths I witnessed at that time could hardly be described as human deaths. There were hundreds of people suffering in agony, unable to receive any kind of medical attention," Tanaka told the audience.

"I strongly felt that even in war, such killing and maiming must never be allowed to happen."

(Reporting by Nora Buli in Oslo, editing by Gwladys Fouche and Christina Fincher)

Share This

Popular

Asia|Business|Political|US|World

US official discusses Panama Canal-related audit with Panamanian minister

US official discusses Panama Canal-related audit with Panamanian minister
Asia|Business|Political|Technology|US

Nintendo delays Switch 2 pre-orders in US on tariff uncertainty

Nintendo delays Switch 2 pre-orders in US on tariff uncertainty
Asia|Political|US|World

Taiwan's top security official visits US for talks, source says

Taiwan's top security official visits US for talks, source says
Asia|Political|World

North Korea leader Kim Jong Un visits military training base

North Korea leader Kim Jong Un visits military training base

Political

Environment|Political|US

South and Midwest pounded by rains and floods while still reeling from tornadoes

South and Midwest pounded by rains and floods while still reeling from tornadoes
Crime|Political|US

Prosecutors seek 7 years in prison for disgraced ex-US Rep. George Santos in federal fraud case

Prosecutors seek 7 years in prison for disgraced ex-US Rep. George Santos in federal fraud case
Business|Economy|MidEast|Political|US

Rubio discusses tariffs with Netanyahu, State Department says

Rubio discusses tariffs with Netanyahu, State Department says
Asia|Business|Political|US|World

US official discusses Panama Canal-related audit with Panamanian minister

US official discusses Panama Canal-related audit with Panamanian minister

Access this article for free.

Already have an account? Sign In