The Los Angeles Post
U.S. World Business Lifestyle
Today: April 04, 2025
Today: April 04, 2025

NY judge says Trump will face no penalties in his criminal hush money case but upholds conviction

NY judge upholds Donald Trump's conviction in hush money case and sets sentencing for January 10
January 03, 2025

(CNN) โ€” President-elect Donald Trump will face no legal penalties for his conviction in the hush money case, a New York judge ruled Friday.

Judge Juan Merchan, however, upheld Trumpโ€™s conviction in the case, rejecting the president-electโ€™s effort to throw out the juryโ€™s verdict because of his reelection in November. This ensures that Trump will be the first convicted felon to become president.

Merchan set sentencing for January 10, but indicated the case is essentially over. The court hearing will be held 10 days before Trump is inaugurated for a second term โ€“ a reminder of the prominence that his legal issues have played in his return to power in Washington.

Merchan in his ruling referenced Trumpโ€™s plans to appeal and said that imposing no penalty would bring โ€œfinalityโ€ to the case while allowing Trump to continue pursuing an appeal of the conviction. Such an appeal will lack urgency since Trump will face no punishment that risks interfering with his duties as president.

โ€œA sentence of an unconditional discharge appears to be the most viable solution to ensure finality and allow Defendant to pursue his appellate options,โ€ Merchan wrote.

The judge also said that he would allow Trump to appear to the sentencing virtually, to assuage the president electโ€™s concerns about the โ€œmental and physical demands during this transition period.โ€

โ€œIt was a smart move by Judge Merchan to announce in advance that he is going to impose no punishment, and hold the proceeding remotely, because that undermines any effort by Trumpโ€™s team to argue in federal court that sentencing imposes some major burden,โ€ said CNN senior legal analyst Elie Honig said.

In his ruling Friday, Merchan repeatedly referenced internal US Justice Department opinions โ€“ which are not binding in court, but has applied to the federal governmentโ€™s conduct โ€“ that say that a sitting president cannot be subject to prosecution. He said he considered the points made by the DOJ in those opinions and raised by Trump in his arguments to the New York court. and that he had found that those concerns did not justify putting off the sentence.

Trump wasโ€ฏconvicted in May on 34 counts of falsifying business recordsโ€ฏover payments to his then-lawyer Michael Cohen to reimburse a $130,000 hush money payment made to adult-film star Stormy Daniels, in order to keep her from speaking out about an alleged affair before the 2016 election. (Trump has denied the affair.)

Trump was first set to be sentenced in July

Trump was scheduled to be sentenced in July, but that was postponed twice as a result of the Supreme Courtโ€™s immunity ruling.

Trumpโ€™s lawyers initially pushed to dismiss Trumpโ€™s conviction on the basis of the Supreme Courtโ€™s decision on presidential immunity, arguing that prosecutorsโ€™ relied on evidence from Trumpโ€™s official conduct in the White House. After the election, Trumpโ€™s lawyers filed a new motion to dismiss the case, arguing that his status as president was a โ€œlegal impedimentโ€ to further criminal proceedings based on both the Supreme Courtโ€™s presidential immunity doctrine and the Constitutionโ€™s Supremacy Clause that federal law takes precedence over state law.

Last month, Merchan said the conviction should not be tossed out because of the high courtโ€™s July ruling. In that decision, Merchan said that the Supreme Court ruling that Trump should receive broad immunity for official acts during his time in office did not mean the conviction should be dismissed, ruling that the evidence presented by the Manhattan district attorneyโ€™s office was not related to Trumpโ€™s official conduct as president.

Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg had argued that Trumpโ€™s conviction should be upheld. The district attorneyโ€™s office said in legal filings that the sentence could be delayed or modified as a result of Trumpโ€™s reelection, but that dismissing a juryโ€™s conviction would be an โ€œextreme remedyโ€ that was unwarranted. A spokesperson for the office declined to comment Friday.

Trump spokesman Steven Cheung called the Friday ruling is a โ€œdirect violationโ€ of the Supreme Courtโ€™s immunity decision.

โ€œPresident Trump must be allowed to continue the presidential transition process and to execute the vital duties of the presidency, unobstructed by the remains of this or any remnants of the Witch Hunts. There should be no sentencing, and President Trump will continue fighting against these hoaxes until they are all dead,โ€ Cheung said.

This story has been updated with additional developments.

The-CNN-Wire
โ„ข & ยฉ 2025 Cable News Network, Inc., a Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All rights reserved.

Related Articles

White officer who fatally shot Black man shouldn't have been in his backyard, judge rules in suit Sam Bankman-Fried's lawyers claim in an appeal that he was judged too quickly Hunter Biden wonโ€™t be sentenced on gun charges until after presidential election New York prosecutors say evidence in Trump trial was โ€˜overwhelmingโ€™ and conviction should stand
Share This

Popular

Celebrity|Crime|Entertainment|US

โ€˜The most powerful type of liarโ€™: Tapper asks Anna Delvey how she views her criminal past

โ€˜The most powerful type of liarโ€™: Tapper asks Anna Delvey how she views her criminal past
Crime|Political|US

Disgraced former Cardinal Theodore McCarrick has died at age 94

Disgraced former Cardinal Theodore McCarrick has died at age 94
Americas|Crime|US|World

Family of Venezuelan singer jailed in El Salvador call for due process

Family of Venezuelan singer jailed in El Salvador call for due process
Crime|Political|US

LA County reaches $4 billion agreement to settle sexual abuse claims at juvenile facilities

LA County reaches $4 billion agreement to settle sexual abuse claims at juvenile facilities

Political

Business|Political|Technology|US

China hit brakes on TikTok deal after Trump announced wide-ranging tariffs, AP Source says

China hit brakes on TikTok deal after Trump announced wide-ranging tariffs, AP Source says
Asia|Business|Economy|Political|Stock Markets|US

Markets plunge with S&P 500 down 6% and Dow down 2,200 after China retaliates against Trump tariffs

Markets plunge with S&P 500 down 6% and Dow down 2,200 after China retaliates against Trump tariffs
Education|Political|US

Supreme Court allows Trump to freeze dozens of teacher training grants

Supreme Court allows Trump to freeze dozens of teacher training grants
Crime|Political|US

Disgraced former Cardinal Theodore McCarrick has died at age 94

Disgraced former Cardinal Theodore McCarrick has died at age 94

Access this article for free.

Already have an account? Sign In