The Los Angeles Post
U.S. World Business Lifestyle
Today: April 04, 2025
Today: April 04, 2025

Trump's auto tariffs will lead to autoworker pain, two Michigan business groups say

Automobiles for sale in California following Trumps tarrif announcement
March 31, 2025
David Shepardson - Reuters

By David Shepardson

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -Two Michigan business groups urged President Donald Trump to halt plans to impose sweeping 25% tariffs on imported vehicles and parts, saying it would lead to dramatic price hikes, supply-chain disruptions and pain in the auto-heavy state.

"The increased costs would cause significant disruption throughout the supply chain and, perhaps most importantly, lead to significant price increases to the cost to American consumers for vehicles," the Detroit Regional Chamber and MichAuto, an automotive and mobility association, said in a letter.

"In Michigan, where one in five jobs is automotive-related, the pain felt by working-class citizens will be profound." The auto sector contributes about โ€ฏ$300 billionโ€ฏ to Michiganโ€™s economy annually, according to the Detroit Regional Chamber.

Trump last week followed through on weeks of threats for new tariffs on imported cars, saying a 25% import tax on vehicles not built in the U.S. would kick in on April 3 - on top of previous duties. He could also add new duties on autos as part of sweeping new tariffs he will announce Wednesday.

The groups said that the tariffs will damage the stateโ€™s automotive industry and economy, noting there are more than 1,000 automotive suppliers based in Michigan.

"The tariff policies proposed will increase prices, drive down consumer demand, and therefore, lower the profitability of our companies, directly impacting the hardworking Americans who assemble the iconic vehicles," the letter added.

Higher new vehicle prices could prompt some owners to hold on to old vehicles longer, raising used car prices. "These increased vehicle costs will be disproportionately borne by working-class and middle-class families," the letter said.

In response, White House spokesperson Kush Desai noted automakers like Hyundai have announced new investments in the United States and argued those investments and Trump's call for a new tax deduction on interest on car loans "will continue to drive historic manufacturing and job growth."

A group representing General Motors, Ford, Toyota, Stellantis and others warned the tariffs will hike vehicle costs. Hyundai told auto dealers they may need to adjust prices if the tariffs take effect.

(Reporting by David Shepardson in WashingtonEditing by Chris Reese and Matthew Lewis)

Share This

Popular

Business|Economy|Political|US

Richard Quest explains who feels the immediate impact of Trump tariffs

Richard Quest explains who feels the immediate impact of Trump tariffs
Business|Economy|US

Nissan will pause US orders of Mexican-built Infiniti SUVs after Trump tariffs

Nissan will pause US orders of Mexican-built Infiniti SUVs after Trump tariffs
Business|Economy|Political|US

Trump administration sued over Chinese import tariffs

Trump administration sued over Chinese import tariffs
Asia|Business|Economy|Finance

Morgan Stanley raising about $680 million for Japan real estate fund, sources say

Morgan Stanley raising about $680 million for Japan real estate fund, sources say

Political

Election|Political|US

Democratic-led states sue over Trump's order overhauling elections

Democratic-led states sue over Trump's order overhauling elections
Health|Political|US

Kennedy says he plans to reinstate some personnel and programs severed in massive HHS layoffs

Kennedy says he plans to reinstate some personnel and programs severed in massive HHS layoffs
Business|Economy|Finance|Political|Stock Markets|US

Republicans moving ahead with Trump's 'big' bill of tax breaks and spending cuts amid tariff uproar

Republicans moving ahead with Trump's 'big' bill of tax breaks and spending cuts amid tariff uproar
Election|Political|US

States sue to block Trump's election order, saying it violates the Constitution

States sue to block Trump's election order, saying it violates the Constitution

Access this article for free.

Already have an account? Sign In