The Los Angeles Post
U.S. World Business Lifestyle
Today: April 03, 2025
Today: April 03, 2025

White House asking Congress for $6 billion to extend internet subsidy program -official

FILE PHOTO: Fiber optic cables carrying internet providers are seen running into a server room at Intergate.Manhattan, a data center owned and developed by Sabey Data Center Properties, during a tour of the facility in lower Manhattan, in New York
October 25, 2023
David Shepardson - Reuters

By David Shepardson

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House is asking Congress for another $6 billion for a government broadband internet subsidy program used by 21 million American households that is set to run out of money early next year, an official told Reuters Wednesday.

Congress previously allocated $17 billion to help lower-income families and people impacted by COVID-19 to gain internet access through a $30 per month voucher to use toward paying for internet service.

The White House says the program, overseen by the Federal Communications Commission and known as the Affordable Connectivity Program, helps current users save over $500 million per month on their internet bills. The $6 billion in additional government funding would extend the program through December 2024, the official said.

"Congress should act swiftly to fund the Affordable Connectivity Program and prevent more than 21 million households from losing access to affordable, high-speed internet," said White House National Economic Council director Lael Brainard in a statement to Reuters.

Internet service providers say there are about 27 million additional U.S. households that are eligible but are not yet enrolled.

Verizon, Comcast and AT&T have all called for Congress to extend the program that could run out of money by March.

Verizon said earlier this year Congress should develop a plan to keep the "program funded while also developing long-term reforms to current broadband subsidy programs to ensure they operate efficiently, avoid duplication, and target funding to those who need it most."

AT&T has told users that funding "is in jeopardy and we need your help," and asked them to reach out to lawmakers.

(Reporting by David Shepardson)

Related Articles

Tata Sons' move to boost stake in Tata Play gets Indian regulatory clearance Thyssenkrupp ploughs ahead with spin-off of warship division Liberty Global eyes Vodafone's Dutch joint venture stake, Bloomberg News reports Musk, Ambani join hands in surprise Starlink India internet deal
Share This