(CNN) โ White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt, responding Wednesday to a question about a right-wing conspiracy theory, announced that the federal government would cancel $8 million worth of Politico subscriptions.
Leavitt elevated a bogus claim spreading on social media that Politico and the Associated Press for years received millions of dollars from the US Agency for International Development, which President Donald Trump and Elon Musk have targeted by placing staff on leave. In reality, the payments represented the whole of the federal governmentโs subscriptions to the news outletsโ services. All federal agencies combined spent $8.2 million last year on Politico Pro, according to USASpending.gov.
At a White House press briefing, Leavitt told reporters that she had been made aware of USAID funding to media outlets, including Politico, and noted that taxpayer dollars that have been allocated toward โessentially subsidizing subscriptions to Politico on the American taxpayersโ dime will no longer be happening.โ
โThe DOGE team is working on canceling those payments now,โ Leavitt said.
But as reporters quickly pointed out in response to false statements on social media, the payments are not exclusively USAID funds.
โI looked at these contracts and I have my own fun fact,โ Byron Tau, an investigative reporter at the Associated Press, said via X. โThis is occurring because agencies (not just USAID) are buying subscriptions to Politicoโs Pro editorial product, not because Politico is getting grants or other federal funding.โ
The Trump administrationโs focus on the false narrative that Politico received USAID funds follows an erroneous claim by Kyle Becker, a conservative political commentator, on Wednesday. In an X thread, Becker tied a Tuesday report from Semafor that showed Politico staffers hadnโt been paid over a โtechnical errorโ that was subsequently fixed to a USASpending.gov page that shows Politico received $8.2 million across 237 transactions.
โFun Fact: @Politico received USAID funds,โ Becker said via X. โEverything makes sense now.โ
Becker attempted to tie the โtechnical errorโ reported by Semafor to USAID funds, claiming the funds have been fueling Politicoโs premium subscriptions. In the thread, Becker also claimed that the Associated Press has received millions of taxpayer dollars for years.
Beckerโs posts quickly caught the attention of far-right media personalities, including Benny Johnson, Charlie Kirk, and Dana Loesch, the latter of whom called for protests outside Politicoโs offices. In an X post, Will Sommer, a media reporter at The Washington Post, pointed out that Johnson, who helped buoy the false theory, ironically received secret, illegal payments from the Russian government
Musk, who oversees the Department of Government Efficiency, also chimed in on Beckerโs post, calling the alleged payments โa huge waste of taxpayer money!โ
Politicoโs leaders, Goli Sheikholeslami and John Harris in a memo to staff Wednesday, denied that the media company has received any funding from the government.
โPOLITICO has never been a beneficiary of government programs or subsidies โ not one cent, ever, in 18 years,โ the news outletโs leaders wrote in the memo.
The media company acknowledged government agencies subscribe to its pro service, just like corporations do. โThe value of this journalism is clear, as evidenced by our subscription re-enlistment rates,โ Politicoโs leaders said. The news outlet said it welcomes conversations with government subscribers โand are confident that most will see the continued value.โ
In a statement, the AP said that the federal government has โlong been an AP customer โ through both Democratic and Republican administrations.โ
โIt licenses APโs nonpartisan journalism, just like thousands of news outlets and customers around the world,โ the AP said. โItโs quite common for governments to have contracts with news organizations for their content.โ
It is not uncommon for federal employees to expense premium news subscriptions that provide the facts and analysis they require to do their jobs. Isaac Saul, who founded the independent Tangle newsletter, called the false narrative โDOGE nonsense.โ
โPolitico has a super expensive pro subscription with very valuable info that loads of US agencies and employees want and pay for,โ Saul said on X. โAs do other news orgs.โ
This is not the first time the Trump administration has caused a stir over federal employeesโ subscriptions to news organizations. In 2019, the Trump administration urged all federal agencies to end their subscriptions to The Washington Post and The New York Times after the White House announced it would โterminateโ its subscriptions to the newspapers. Itโs unclear whether federal staffers were actually forced to end their subscriptions to the news outlets at the time.
The-CNN-Wire
โข & ยฉ 2025 Cable News Network, Inc., a Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All rights reserved.